How To Make a Simple and Delicious Bolognese Sauce?Dara Wechsler
Pasta night is always a favorite! Dishes full of spaghetti, bolognese, and cheese are the essence of comfort food. If you’re looking for an easy meal and family pleaser, look no further. This effortless recipe with bolognese sauce is only a few steps and is simply delicious.
- 1.5 lb ground beef 80/20
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp of butter or beef tallow
- I medium grated onion or chopped small
- 2 celery stalks chopped small
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of basil
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1.5 cup of whole milk
- 1.5 cups of white wine (Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc works well)
- 1 (28 oz) can of crushed or whole Italian plum tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 2 cups water (add as needed)
- Melt butter with olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; saute the onion, and celery with a pinch of salt, until the mixture turns translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the ground beef to the vegetable mixture and stir constantly until the meat is crumbly and no longer pink (about 5 minutes). Then, season meat mixture with salt, basil, and oregano.
- Pour the milk into the ground beef mixture and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring often until most of the milk evaporates (about 5 minutes).
- Slowly raise heat to medium-high and pour the white wine into the ground beef mixture; cook and stir until the wine is almost evaporated (about 5 minutes).
- Pour the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaves, and water into the mixture. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer. Stir frequently, until the mixture cooks down into a thick sauce, at least 3 hours but preferably 4 to 6 hours. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little more water.
- Prepare your spaghetti to your liking and top with this delicious meat bolognese sauce. Enjoy!